Powered by LiveJournal.com
You are viewing the most recent 14 entries.
3rd July 2005
lostsatyr @ : Game postponed
I've come to the conclusion that if I don't have time to look at character submissions, I don't have time to properly run a game. So my apologies to everyone who submitted a character, but I am postponing the game until a point when I have more spare time available. Thanks to everyone who submitted characters.
sianfitzwillam @ : Interesting website
has pic from episodes, transcripts and gods knows what else.
15th June 2005
liberte_mod @ : Point Totals for Character Creation
Attributes: 20 points
Qualities: 20 points
Drawbacks: up to 10 points
Skills: 20 points
Drama Points: 10White Hat
Attributes: 15 points
Qualities: 10 points
Drawbacks: up to 10 points
Skills: 15 points
Drama Points: 20
14th June 2005
thegamemistress @ : Note to prospective players
You can send your Character Sheet Posts
right now, if you like.
If you don't have access to the Buffy
rules and want us to stat up your character, don't worry about filling in the "Character Type," "Attributes," "Skills," or "Qualities & Drawbacks" fields right now; those are all game info.
For those unfamiliar with the Buffy
game, there are two Types of characters:
- Heroes are people like Buffy, Riley Finn, Angel, etc. They're here to kick @$$ and take names. They get more points to spread among Attributes, Qualities and Skills, but they also get fewer Drama Points than the White Hats (detailed below)
- White Hats are people like Willow, Xander, Cordelia, etc. They're not quite as buff as Heroes, having fewer points to spread among Attributes, Qualities and Skills, but they do get twice as many Drama Points (and thus, more chances to do the cool things described in this post)
10th June 2005
liberte_mod @ : Attention prospective players and lurkers
If you would like to join this community, please leave a comment here to introduce yourself; I've set the entry so people who aren't members of the community can respond.
In your comment, please indicate whether you'd like to play, or just read the posts in the community (referred to as "lurking" in online RPG parlance). Lurkers will be given the ability to read all posts in the community, but only players will be given posting access.
7th June 2005
thegamemistress @ : "Blurb" for this game
I've been trying to come up with a catchy "blurb" to put on the Info page for this game, and came up with the following:In 2003, the headquarters of the Watchers' Council was destroyed by the minions of the First Evil. That same year, the Sunnydale Hellmouth was shattered, as Willow Rosenberg cast a spell to activate every potential Slayer on Earth.
Now, the remnants of the Watchers' Council have set up shop in Philadelphia. There, the next generation of Slayers and Watchers are being trained by Watcher Claudia Wyndam and Slayer Kimiko Yamada. If the forces of darkness have anything to say about it, though, they won't survive to graduate....
The City of Brotherly Love needs YOU to defend it - are you up for the challenge?
What do you all think?
6th June 2005
lostsatyr @ :
I'll be off on a business trip Wed-Fri this week, but thegamemistress
will be around to answer questions, etc, etc.
3rd June 2005
lostsatyr @ : List of psycic (& related) qualities for BTVS from "The Magic Box"
- immune to telepathyPsychometry
- can gain information about items and places by touching them - note it doesn't turn off!Spirit Medium
you see and can talk to dead peopleTelekinesis
- varies in strength depending on number of levels purchasedTelepathyThe Sight
-Your character can see magic and traces of supernatural power
liberte_mod @ : What'cha gonna play?
So, what are people interested in playing? I've adjusted the comments settings for this entry, so those of you who haven't yet joined the comm can respond.
Feel free to leave your ideas, questions, concerns, and the like about character creation here.
For those of you without access to the Buffy
rules from Eden Studios, we as mods are willing to stat up PCs from character backgrounds that you send us.
A bit of background: The game takes place in Philadelphia, PA in the present day (mid-2005). This game takes place after the series finale of the Buffy
TV show, so multiple Slayers are possible. The Watchers' Council is attempting to rebuild after the events of the TV show's final season.
The Council has established a training center for new Slayers and Watchers in east Philadelphia, near the waterfront (and close to Old City - home of the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and other historic monuments). The new recruits are being trained under the watchful eyes of Slayer Kimiko Yamada (a recent graduate of a Slayer training program headed by Faith - yes, that
Faith! :), and Watcher Claudia Wyndam.
Again, we will take Slayers, "Scooby Gang" members (think support staff for the Slayers; for those of you familiar with the TV show, Xander is a pretty good example), Watchers, or ordinary mundane humans. "Special" characters like Witches, Psychics (think Cordelia in Angel
), Initiative agents, Super-scientists (a'la Warren Mears before he turned to villainy), and the like, are accepted at the GMs' discretion.
Vampires (with souls or otherwise), demons, and demonic hybrids are right out (so don't even ask).
Any questions? Anyone know what they'd like to play?
31st May 2005
liberte_mod @ : The Drama Point System
RPG uses a game mechanic called Drama Points
to enable characters to perform incredible feats at just the right moment, survive impossible odds, and the like. Each PC starts out with 10 to 20 Drama Points, depending on character type (Heroes get 10 Drama Points, White Hats get 20). These points do not return automatically; they must be earned (more on that later).Using Drama Points
There are five ways to use Drama Points:
Earning Drama Points
- Heroic Feat: Spend one Drama Point to receive a +10 bonus on some value - an attack or defense roll, a Fear or Survival Test, or any use of a Skill. Only one Heroic Feat may be performed per Turn.
- I Think I'm Okay: Spend one Drama Point to instantly heal half the Life Point damage (round down) the character has taken up to that point. I Think I'm Okay may only be used once per Turn, but it can be used several Turns in a row, each use halving whatever damage remains (subject to GM's discretion).
- Plot Twist: Once per thread, a character can spend a Drama Point to get a "break" (the killer leaves a vital clue at the scene of the crime, etc.). This is not a "Get Out of Jail Free" card - if a character walks into the villain's lair and is surrounded by a horde of demons, a Plot Twist will not allow him to escape unscathed. On the other hand, if the GMs determine that a Plot Twist is not possible, the player gets the Drama Point back.
- Righteous Fury: Spend two Drama Points for a +5 bonus to all attack actions (including magical attacks) for the duration of a combat. Note that these bonuses are cumulative with Heroic Feat, above. However, Righteous Fury requires that the character be properly motivated (a brutal attack on a loved one, an unexpected betrayal of trust, and other crimes so horrible they go beyond the usual vampiric and demonic mayhem). The existence of vampires and demons is not sufficient motivation, by the way - that comes with the territory in a BtVS game.
- Back From the Dead: By spending Drama Points, a character may even return from the dead. The number of Drama Points spent depends on how soon the character returns - it costs five Drama Points to return in the next storyline ("Episode"), and ten Drama Points to return in the same thread. If the Player does not have enough Drama Points, she can pay in installments - all Drama Points she has now, and any Drama Points she receives later, until the debt is paid. Spending the points is not enough; the GM and the player must also work out the details of the character's resurrection.
Players earn Drama Points in the following ways:
- Experience Points: Players may "trade in" Experience Points for Drama Points - Heroes receive one Drama Point for every two Experience points spent, and White Hats receive one Drama Point for every one Experience Point spent.
- Quotable Quotes: Players who come up with funny and memorable lines receive one Drama Point per thread.
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People: If the plot requires that something bad happen to a character, the GM may choose to reward the player with one to three Drama Points (the exact amount depending on the unfairness of the situation). When this rule is invoked, however, the players cannot use Drama Points to undo the result.
- The Agony That is Life: When a subplot involving a character and her Drawbacks (Addiction, Emotional Problems, etc.) results in a tragedy, she receives one to three Drama Points, every thread where the subplot comes into play. Sometimes, an emotional crisis directly affects the character; when tragedy strikes, she cannot use Drama Points for Heroic Feats, Plot Twists, or Righteous Fury, and suffers a -2 penalty to all actions. These times of grief get the character two Drama Points, or three if her suffering lasts for an entire storyline.
- Support Your Local Hero: This option is available only to White Hats. By roleplaying out helping others through The Agony That is Life, above, the character receives two Drama Points.
(Much of the material in this post appears in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Core Rulebook, pp. 126-131)
thegamemistress @ : Game Rules
It is the responsibility of all players to have read and understand these rules. This post will be updated as needed.
1. Each player must have a Live Journal for their character. If you need to create a Live Journal Account, go to http://www.livejournal.com/create.bml
2. All players must join both the vie_et_liberte
LJ Communities. To join the communities, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that vie_et_liberte
is reserved for In-Character
posting only. You must
have an approved character to join vie_et_liberte
3. Each player must send a Character Sheet Post
to the GMs at pourvieetliberte AT gmail DOT com
. If you do not have access to the Buffy The Vampire Slayer
game rules, you may submit a character history and Sample LJ Post to the GMs (using the above e-mail) and request that they create the character for you based on these.
4. If you can't post for a time, please let the GMs (and any other players that you're interacting with) know. Feel free to let the GMs know if you want your character to be doing anything in particular while you're unable to post; we'll do what we can to accomodate you.
5. Be nice to your fellow players (and that includes the GMs). Please try to keep any disagreements civil. The point is for everyone to have fun. As a player, you are expected to respect your fellow players' religion, race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disabilities. Pour Vie Et Liberte
is a game that involves people from many different walks of life, and they come here for enjoyment. It's one thing if your character
is biased against a particular group or individual; it's quite another if you, the player
, are. OOC discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated.
6. A player’s personal information is his to reveal or conceal as he chooses. Unless the player has openly revealed her RL name and details to the group, other players should respect her privacy and not post such details.
7. Posts containing potentially objectionable material (like explicit sex or graphic violence) should be LJ-cut
, and a warning posted in the entry. An easy way to do this is "((OOC: Smut Warning!))
" for sexual content, or "((OOC: Violence Warning!))
" for violent content (you can put more detail in if you wish). If you're not sure whether or not the material is objectionable, please err on the side of caution.
8. Any sort of IC actions which might significantly alter the setting (killing a major political figure, planting a bomb in City Hall, assembling an army of demon storm troopers, etc.) should be discussed with the GMs before
implementation. While such IC things are allowed to happen, it is polite to let the GMs know so they can properly work out how best to structure the game based on the IC actions that you desire to take. We would also want to know how you are intending to commit such IC actions (in the case of a bombing, where you got the explosives, for one thing....). Also, please be aware that there will be consequences for such actions; be prepared to face them.
9. All die rolls in this game will be handled by the GMs. If you need a roll, request it in the liberte_ooc
community. Make sure to link to the post that the roll is for so we can find it! (Example: "Could I get a Dexterity + Getting Medieval roll on [insert link here]? I want to spend a Drama Point on this for a Heroic Feat, too....")
10. It should go without saying that the Gamemaster's ruling is final. Discussions about game issues are fairly common, and handled in a friendly and reasonable manner. The OOC Community is full of them. However, if one of the GMs makes a final judgment call, that is the final decision.
11. All information in private threads, or threads in which your PC is not present, is not known by your character, unless he has used some means to divine that information. This must go through the GMs. Do not act on OOC information.
12. To adapt the game to the LJ format, the following general guidelines for participation are followed:
- Any Public thread in an ICly-public place that is posted to the vie_et_liberte group is open to other characters joining the RP.
- A player should ask permission of the other characters before joining any thread in an ICly-private place (e.g. a character's home) that is posted to the vie_et_liberte group, unless it is clearly marked as an open thread (example: "OOC: All players are welcome here!").
- A player should ask permission of the other characters before joining a Friends-Only thread in the vie_et_liberte community, unless it is clearly marked as an open thread.
- A player should ask permission of the other characters before joining any thread in a character's private journal, unless it is clearly marked as an open thread.
13. Do not post other characters' or NPCs' actions for them unless given express permission to do so by the other player or GM controlling the character. Other people's characters are theirs to control.
14. If you start a thread, you will find that LiveJournal will allow you to delete posts in that thread made by others. Do not do this without the express permission of the other party.
Period. This especially applies to posts made by the GMs.
15. Be aware that bad things may
happen to your character in this game. This does not
mean that anyone is deliberately trying to make your IC life miserable. If you have a problem with something going on IC, please
tell one of the GMs.
16. Have fun!
thegamemistress @ : Character sheet post format
Here's the format we'd like character sheets to be sent in. Please send them to pourvieetliberte (at) gmail.com
Please use the form below when applying, and type or paste everything into the body of the message - no attachments or fancy formatting (multiple columns, etc.), please! Attachments will be deleted without reading, and you will be asked to re-send your application as specified above.
Before submitting a character, make sure you have read the rules of this game
, and understand how they apply to you as a player. Some Things to Be Aware Of
( Character sheet post info cut for spaceCollapse )
- Pour Vie et Liberte accepts only original characters; please don't ask to play an established (or "canon") character from the Buffy or Angel TV shows (Buffy, Faith, Gunn, Lilah Morgan, etc.).
- We will accept Slayers, Watchers, "Scooby Gang" members (a'la Xander and Cordelia), and completely mundane PCs.
- Slayer characters must be female. This game takes place after the end of the Buffy TV series, so multiple Slayer PCs *are* possible.
- Vampires (with souls or otherwise), demons or demonic hybrids (half-demons, etc.) are not permitted as PCs. Psychics (a'la Cordelia in Angel), witches (a'la Willow, Amy, Tara), Initiative agents (a'la Riley Finn), and other "special" characters are accepted at the GMs' discretion.
16th May 2005
thegamemistress @ : Note to players without the "Buffy" RPG rules
Those of you who do not have access to the Buffy
Eden Studios rules can send a character background (no stats) to pourvieetliberte AT gmail DOT com
. After the GMs receive your character background, we will assign your character's stats based on the background and then e-mail you a (completed) character sheet.
Please note that the more detailed your character background is, the easier it will be for us to assign stats.
(This post edited for clarity on June 1, 2005)
29th April 2005
thegamemistress @ : Feeling it out
So, what are people interested in playing? IIRC, we had one Slayer, a couple of Scoobie Gang members, and some non-Witch super-powered folks. Would anyone care to elaborate on what they'd like to play?